Saturday, July 6, 2013

Pedro

Today marks a week that we had to put Pedro to sleep. The journey started about 6 months ago. We noticed that he began to have loose stool, so we tried a few different foods to help him. None of the foods worked, so I purchased a 50lb box of chicken and a 25lb bag of rice and I made his food, packed in individual meals, and froze them. We would pull out a week's worth at a time, heating each one until it was just right for Pedro. This seemed to help... the loose stool had gone away.
 Pedro has slowed down a WHOLE lot over the past few months. There would be times that he would just sit next to my bedroom door and not move for hours; he was leaned up against the corner of the door jam. When he would finally move, it would be so slow and looked so painful- I felt so bad... I would normally go pick him up and carry him to the sofa. (he was taking pain meds for this as well as joint vitamins)
Well, about 3 weeks ago the loose stool came back and he would go in the house while we were at work... he tried to make it to the door- the trail of evidence showed this- that is when I discovered the coloring of it. Black, green, and mucus. We took him to the vet. They gave him 2 pills to take. YAY- this stopped the messes.... but I discovered that he would not go AT ALL- well, I couldn't have that either, so I stopped the pills. It took him a couple of days to 'go' again, and when he did- sadly enough it went back to the black, green, and mucus- I was sad to see that. I knew something was going on in there- what I thought was joint pain, could have been this monster inside him this whole time. I simply could not allow him to hurt this way.
I made 'the appointment' and Patrick and I took him in. He was very calm and seemed to know that we were helping. They shaved his leg and he just laid there getting his lovins from us. I held his face and talked to him, Pedro licked the palm of my hand very gently as if to say "Thank You: I love you" and then he gently fell asleep and began his journey to find the laps of the ones he loves in Heaven. I am sure that he is up there playing with the other brother and sisters and laying vigil by Jimmy's side. No more pain.... resting.....