Friday, December 2, 2011

Caught it early

After I had finally gone home on Tuesday I was super excited/ kind of scared with the change in environments. Losing that nurse call button and all of the iv drugs at my fingertips to take care of any situation, naturally I felt nervous. But after a nice sleepy pill and mom around to calm me down and assure me that she is just a couple of steps away and my cell phone had become my new call button I soon fell asleep. After sleeping most of the way through the night I did wake up having to pee, and had to do so into a bucket, I was up at about 4:30 am and watched some Netflix until I heard mom upstairs. I asked for some pie and my first round of mirolax which she brought for me while my tpn finished up. That pie is so delicious!!!! Anyway I then made it through Wednesday pretty comfortably, although I was a little but worried because my ostomy wasn't having any output and my stomach was very rumbly and grumbly. And this kind of persisted throughout all of Wednesday where I would eat and drink but not really see the same amount coming out as was going in. Then Wednesday night my stomach really started to ache and wouldn't go away, did the tpn through the night as instructed and kept trying to eat and drink as well. Thursday morning I really wasn't feeling "right" and knew that I was becoming obstructed. So I said we have to go back to the hospital and we talked with the oncologist and got orders for x rays and a ct scan before I had even showed up! So as set up as we could be, we headed in and they did their thing in ER. I requested to have the nurses on 8 lime put my ng tube in because they had done it twice already and I know all of the nurses up here. Bad move, I had to wait FOREVER for that tube to be put in because of my request!! And that is what I knew my body NEEDED! So after a first botched attempt at placing the tube (because the tip was too frozen to make the turn towards my stomach) they had to pull it out and make a second attempt. After what felt like an hour of pure torture, gagging, tears and snot everywhere that F'er was in!! It pumped a liter out in no time at all and I felt better almost immediately. My pain level was way up for hours, to what I called an 8-9 out of ten, so to have that relief so quickly was very appreciated! The next few hours I was in and out of sleep from all of the days excitement. I went and got my x rays and ct scan and they found a small bowel obstruction that was causing my discomfort an said that we were lucky to have caught it so early. If you let it go you can easily perforate your bowel which is followed immediately by life saving surgery, so it's comforting to know that I am learning how my body works and that I can be able to say I'm becoming obstructed and we have to do something about it!! And now I am sitting in the hospital waiting for this next round of chemo to start tomorrow, two days early this time, because I am responding well to treatment. It seems every time after a treatment my situation improves pretty significantly. This time we are going to try to KEEP me home when I get home! And with any luck at all that should be maybe the middle of next week. I definitely want to be able to be at my own benefit auction to personally thank everybody who is involved in helping with it. Not to mention just to be out of the damn hospital feels good too, I'm ready to go home and stay home!!