Wednesday, February 8, 2012

ER at LGH

Well, tonight was not what I expected.....
I got home from work around 4pm. Shelley (Jimmy's baby sister) had stayed with him today while Addy and I were at work/school. It was awesome to see Jimmy upstairs in the recliner... I ALWAYS love that- it means he is well enough and strong enough and DESIRES to get out of his room. Well, we decided that we were going shopping... we were in Pier One Imports and he doubled over in pain and said he was ready to go. I gave him the keys to go sit in the car and get off of his feet... from the time we left there until we got home, his stoma FILLED his entire dang bag!!He was in such pain that he had to MAKE himself get out of the car to make the TREK to his room. He made it to his room and sat on the bed... his pain level SHOT THROUGH THE ROOF.... he was hitting TENS with pain in his back and stoma. We tried putting ice on it to take swelling down- has been great in the past- but, no go!! He tried lying down- all he could do is groan. In about 10 minutes he was in sooo much pain he couldn't talk, sit, lay, lift arms- nothing. He asked to sit up... Shelley and I helped him to the edge of his bed by me with his shoulders and her with his legs, we swung him into place with one liquid movement and the pain was crazy!! He sat on the edge of his bed and was just sweating so badly that it was DRIPPING off of him onto his floor. We decided it was time for ER- I called LCC so they would call ahead and let them know he was on his way. With Shelley under one arm and me under the other we shimmied and scooted our way to the car- at this point Jimmy is barely with it... Shelley and I all but carried him to the car. We turned him around and got him seated- he was dry heaving so along came a barf bag. And off to LGH we went... I did run a red light or two, sorry officer, and got him there as quickly (but as gently) as possible. His pain was SO INTENSE to say the LEAST... he felt each small bump. We got there and some A$$ was sitting in front of the ER doors in his car- I had to try to get Jimmy as close as I could and then ran in for wheelchair... as I am trying to get Jimmy out the dude decides, wow- I'm in the way- I better move! AGHhhh!! Jimmy didn't have to sit long- but it SEEEEEMED like it. We went back to a room and they began all the questions- I had to answer them all because he simply could not. The ER doc came in and started touching his stoma- Jimmy said "no"... and the Dr stopped. Then we spoke about where he got this surgery done... he learned that it was Hershey and was ready to ship us there when I remembered that he had another Dr here that he saw- (Jimmy managed to murmur his name- because I was so freaked out I was drawing a blank)... it was Bacharack... and he was ON CALL!! YAY!!!!!! He got there in pretty good time as well. He looked at the stoma and grabbed ahold of it- Jimmy was BEYOND agony at this point with doc moving the stoma- Jimmy begged him to stop. The dr said... "have you ever heard 'sometimes you have to take the bull by the horns'"? Jimmy said no in hopes that he would let the dang thing go!!! Wellllll... he did NOT let it go... in fact, he grabbed it with BOTH hands and began squeezing it very hard... this caused the stoma to begin retracting, so as I was watching this, I allowed it to go on, sorry Jimmy, because I KNEW it would help... I was SEEING it with my own eyes. As the Dr was aggressively massaging the stoma- I was watching Jimmy's face and rubbing his head and holding his wrist tight -Shelley was standing at the head of his bed and she was rubbing his head as well... trying to comfort him as the Dr was putting him through hell. Well, I heard the nurse say- are you ok?... I looked at Shelley and she was ready to pass out... she sat down at the side of the bed in a chair. So, now at this point, I have Jimmy's wrist in one hand and I had my one leg and arm blocking Shelley so she wouldn't fall off of the chair onto the floor... woo... what a moment or two!! It took about 3-5 minutes (which doesn't SOUND like a long time until you are going through something like this) and this Dr had that stoma back where it belonged and Jimmy's face went from grimace to smile. It was crazy to see. The Dr asked how Jimmy felt and he said "that was amazing"... "my pain is gone"... and then Jimmy repeated "have you ever heard 'sometimes you have to take the bull by the horns'" and kinda snickered. He went from wanting to PUNCH THE DR IN THE FACE to shaking his hand and saying "THANK YOU SO MUCH!!"... The Dr and Jimmy asked if I would feel comfortable doing that if it happens again... well, why the hell not?! HAaaaaaaaaa... I told Jimmy he may swear at me once or twice while I am doing it, but I will do it!! Tomorrow I will be making a trip to a medical equipment store to buy a hernia belt type thing in hopes that it will have some positive effects!!
So, now Addy is at the hospital for an overnight stay with Jimmy. When she leaves in the morning I will go sit with him, he will be getting his next round of chemo there. Maybe Jimmy was just missing all of his friends from 8-Lime.... :) HHmmmmmm?!
I think that we were feeling a little spoiled (with him being out of hospital so long) and Jimmy had to remind us not to get too comfortable!!
Love and hugs to all....