Thursday, March 22, 2012

Night at LGH

Well, if you need to rest and recoup- don't come here! man!
Jimmy took benedryl around 9:15 to get some solid sleep. We got him all settled in and Patrick left around 9:45- I changed into sponge bob PJs (nurses were jealous) and settled in for some TV. Turned TV off around 10:45. First alarm on ONE of his 5 IVs went off at midnight. Happened to be the pain pump. I called for nurse and then silenced the bell, so that Jimmy wouldn't be disturbed. They called for the IV team to come change his pain med. I stood at the side of his bed to silence the alarm each time it went off. Well, they got here and got it changed- left the room at 12:55am. Well at 1:05 the alarm went of again. I quickly jumped up and opened the door- YAY, they were still out there. They came back in and bled the lines- got the air out and were all done again. Back to bed around 1:20. Drift off to sleep and 2am benedryl time came quickly. Of course I want to see what they are doing- so awake again. That didn't take real long, back to sleep. Around 2:20am another bell goes off- this time it was his decadron pump. I stand guard (somewhat wobbly) and silence this one as well, (ha- ironically while I was typing this one of the alarms went off again at 8:55- pushed nurse bell on way to silence it I pushed nurse call... and OMG- while I was typing that sentence, his TPN alarm went off at 9:02) I THINK they are all over it now. How frustrating- I can't even have time to type about the night because the alarms continue! OK, back to story... Nurse gets this taken care of and back to sleep I go... or not, at 2:40 alarm again- same routine, I jump up and stand vigil until they fix the problem at hand. Back to sleep by 3:15am... ah nice! Short lived- 4:20 awakened by alarm again- I'm sure these nurses were like... REALLY?!, but I couldn't just keep standing there silencing these terrors. Back to sleep once again. Woke to someone in the room, and yes, of course I want to know what's going on. I awake to see they are preparing his meds... it's 6:45... wow, that was a nice sleep. I didn't get out of bed- I saw what they were doing and I turned over and went back to sleep. At 7:45 they came to take him for his obstruction series. SOoooo I decided to get a shower and change while he was out of the room. He was back before I was done with shower and all. It's now 9:10, he's been sleeping and I think I may nap now too... well, until the NEXT alarm goes off. I always thought that one came to the hospital to rest and recoup- REALLY?! ha
Well, now we wait for the Dr to come and let us know about results.