Thursday, March 29, 2012

Today has been, shall I say, unnerving. It started out pretty good... we got up and walked two rounds on 8-Lime early. Came back to room and got settled in again for a rest, because of the low hemoglobin he tires out very quickly. He's been pretty depressed. Feeling helpless- I can only begin to imagine. BUT, I'm not ready to let him give up yet- I told him that I gave him 2 days of feeling sorry for himself... we all need those days- but now we are done and we will be working at getting stronger and getting back in the game.
He took benedryl this afternoon to get some sleep mainly because he was feeling depressed and just needed an escape- I can understand... shit, how would the rest of us handle what this young man has to handle?! Anyhow... Dr. Degreen talked to us and let us know that Jimmy has to get his strength up to get his next round of chemo and would like it if Jimmy saved the benedryl for evening only, so that he can walk and get build up. I think that Jimmy felt guilty then about the feelings and not getting up and moving. Soooo while I was downstairs, thinking he was sleeping, I got a text from his Dad that said Jimmy fell.... oh shit! I ran up to the room as fast as I could - he was on his bed. He now knows never to try to walk off benedryl. He hurt his tailbone (bruised), his elbow (skinned) and his head (bump). They have been in to check him each hour since his fall. He went down for a CT scan because he is on Lovenox (blood thinner) and they don't want to take a chance at possible internal damage and just 'waiting' to see if a problem arises. Good call! We are now waiting on that result. He has also been put on a diuretic to get rid of some of the 'water' being held in feet and elbows. Keep praying for his strength to come up and chemo to be in the near future. Thank you ALL
Love and hugs to all.....